Recently elected State Auditor Doug Hoffer announced this morning his office has begun five performance audits of state government functions.
The Auditor’s office will review
- The Department of Corrections’ “Correct Care Solutions” contract (a three-year contract worth $53 million);
- Two Agency of Transportation contracts that have yet to be determined but will be identified in the planning phase;
- The Agency of Administration’s Workers’ Compensation and Injury Prevention Program (which paid $7.3 million in claims in fiscal year 2012, according to the Auditor), to see whether the program has focused on prevention of causes of claims and identify trends in claims;
- State-issued cell phones to see whether the phones are under-used and / or costs can be reduced;
- Finally, the office will take a look at the state’s “last mile” telecom project, which is intended to bring high-speed internet to every home and business in Vermont through subsidies for the low-yield ‘last mile’ areas, and the state’s investment in health information technology.