MORETOWN — One of only two landfills that still accepts municipal waste is slated to close.
The state released a draft decision Friday that indicated a last-ditch effort by Moretown Landfill, Inc. to drastically re-do its approach to addressing operational problems failed on every count. If the draft decision stands, a final decision would be issued March 8, immediately forcing the facility to begin a closure process.
According to the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, the draft denial was issued because of the company’s inability to prove it had gained control over off-site odor issues. Neighboring residents reportedly complained that the odors had become increasingly worse over the last year and a half.
The decision pertains to the existing landfill but not to a proposed expansion of the facility. The state noted the proposed expansion faces the same technical issues, but said that the company could still pursue an application to open a proposed fourth “cell.”
The landfill’s general manager, Tom Badowski, indicated Friday the company hasn’t ruled that out.
“We believe we have a good application in,” Badowski said. “We have to have this conversation in-house.”
See the full story in The Times Argus and Rutland Herald in Saturday’s paper.