There are so many different types of ice cream on the market. It’s hard to keep track of them all! The following is a list of 16 types that you may not have heard about before.
First, You should know:
What is Ice cream and its ingredients?
Ice cream is a frozen desert food manufactured by churning a mixture of milk, cream, sugar and flavorings. The mixture is stirred rapidly to incorporate air bubbles into the liquid. This causes the water particles in the ice to form around the air bubbles which results in an emulsion. During this process, ice crystals are formed that remain small enough not to affect the overall taste of the food.
Ice cream may be served with or without additional ingredients. Some common additions to ice cream include fruit jellies, syrups and sauces, nuts and other candies or confections. It can also be used as a topping in various desserts such as sundaes, pies, waffles and even corn on the cob.
The origin of ice cream goes back to early China where it was mainly consumed as a medicinal food due to its cool temperature and purity. The ancient Chinese would also eat snow from mountaintops mixed with various ingredients which they then ate using small metal scoops. Ice creams were usually made by mixing snow or saltpeter with fruit juices or wines, which were then frozen to make a slushy mixture.
Types of Ice cream
– Bubble Gum Ice Cream
This is made by mixing bubble gum with ice cream which makes it pop when you eat it. Yum!
This type of ice cream tastes like the drink butterscotch and whisky mixed together. It’s basically frozen butter pecan, a brownie on top and actual scotch at the bottom.
– Cardamom Ice Cream
This type of ice cream is very popular in the Middle East and India. It’s made of a mixture of fruits, nuts and ground cardamoms.
– Cherry Cream Ice
This ice cream is made with a mixture of fresh cherries and vanilla. It pairs well with chocolate!
This type of ice cream can be eaten piping hot or cold and is very popular in Egypt, Turkey and Iran. In North Africa it’s often poured over fudge sauce.
– Cilantro Ice Cream
This ice cream is made from fresh cilantro leaves and is best if eaten within four hours of being created. It’s very popular in Sri Lanka!
– Corn Ice Cream
This yummy type of ice cream is found almost any time of the year in Mexico. It’s made from fresh corn, sugar and other ingredients.
– Coffee Ice Cream
This is a very common type of ice cream in the United States. It’s made through various methods such as by mixing coffee beans into milk, or by brewing espresso and infusing it into pastries.
-Cheesecake Ice Cream
This is a sweet type of ice cream that’s very common in the United States and was invented by an Italian immigrant from New York. Cheesecake ice cream is mainly made from cheese, eggs, corn syrup and sugar.
– Crème Fraîche Ice Cream
This is a very rich, thick and creamy type of ice cream that’s popular in Switzerland. It’s made from fresh cream which helps give it its unique flavor.
– Cupcake Ice Cream
This yummy kind of ice cream was invented by an Italian chef named Ferdinando Mattioli. It’s made by taking a cupcake and adding various types of fillings, then filling the cupcake portion with ice cream.
– Frozen Yogurt
This is a very common type of ice cream in the United States. It’s made by freezing yogurt and can be eaten as a dessert or even with toppings!
Some ice cream recipes
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
This type of ice cream is best served with a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie. The cookie dough is actually used in the ice cream which makes it a new and tasty experience.
How to make it at home?
What you need:
-½ cup of sugar
-3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ¼ ounce vodka
-6 ounces (170 grams) broken chocolate chip cookies (about 8 cookies)
-½ cup butter (113 grams)
What you do:
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the sugar and the brown sugar on medium speed until smooth. Add in vanilla extract or vodka. Then add chocolate chip cookies and softened butter and mix them well. If you want a smoother texture, place them in a food processor and process until they’re fine crumbs.
ButterBeer (From Harry Potter)
This is an ice cream recipe I would love to try at home as soon as possible. I really enjoy the Harry Potter series.
To make butterbeer ice cream you will need:
-1/2 cup whole milk (120 ml)
-1/2 cup heavy cream (120 ml)
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 Tbsp. butter
-2 cups half and half or light cream
-3/4 cup packed brown sugar
-1/4 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon pinch of nutmeg (optional)
1.First, freeze a pint of cream in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions; after about 20 minutes add brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon. Then just before churning it will look like this:
2.Next, pour the soured cream mixture into a sauce pan, add the cream (still frozen) and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
3.Slowly stir in the butter and milk with a whisk until completely combined. Once the mixture begins to boil, remove from heat. Allow to cool completely. Once cooled, stir in vanilla.
4.Transfer to a container and place in the refrigerator until chilled (2-3 hours). Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker instructions. Store sealed in freezer for about one month.
Eggnog is one of the most delicious types of ice cream available in many countries all over the world. It’s not very common to find eggnog, but it can be found in a lot of festivals and special occasions.
What you need:
-1 cup sugar
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp cinnamon pinch nutmeg (optional)
-1/4 tsp salt
-4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, vanilla extract and spices until well blended.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. 4. Pour into an 8 inch square glass baking dish or a 2 quart souffle dish. Set the dish into a larger pan filled with enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
Honey Bunches of Oats (By Post Raisin Bran)
If you like the cereal Honey Bunches of Oats, then this is the ice cream for you. It will give you a burst of flavor as soon as you take your first bite.
You will need:
-8 oz. container of Vanilla Ice Cream
-2 pieces of Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal (chopped up)
-1/4 cup Raisin Bran (or another name brand of bran that you like to eat for cereal)
- Put the ice cream in the mixing bowl, then sprinkle on some cinnamon toast crunch cereal and raisin bran until you get the desired amount that you want to put into your mixture
- Mix everything up with your hand mixer until it is smooth like snow
- Place back in the freezer for at least 5 hours (or until it freezes)
- Take out of the freezer and serve. And enjoy!
Rocky Road is a very tasty type of ice cream. It is very popular in North America, and it can be found in different flavors such as chocolate, vanilla, and many more. If you are looking for an ice cream that has chocolates inside them like the ones I have seen on TV (The Simpsons), then this would be the perfect one for you.
-What you need:
-3 cups of chocolate chips (optional)
-2 cups of miniature marshmallows
-1 teaspoon vanilla (or more if you prefer) (Optional)
-Half cup of chopped nuts (optional, I like hazelnuts so that’s what I use. But any type will do.)
-4 cups of half and half
-3 cups of sugar (or more if you like it a little sweeter)
-8 tablespoons butter
-2 quarts of heavy cream
- In a big bowl, melt chocolate chips (I use a microwave).
- Mix in 2 cups of miniature marshmallows, vanilla and 3 cups of sugar.(Note: These are the ingredients for the rocky road part. If you don’t want to make it like that then you can just skip these steps since I’m going to be talking about how to make the ice cream.)
- Put your mixture in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Spread it out evenly so that none of the mixture is left over.
- Place your pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to let the chocolate harden up a little bit.
5) In a separate bowl, mix together 4 cups of half and half, 2 quarts of heavy cream and 8 tablespoons of butter.
6) In a pot on the stove, bring this mixture to a boil while stirring constantly. After it boils take it off of the heat and transfer it into a bowl. Let it cool down for about 20 minutes.
7)Once your mixture has cooled down enough so that you can touch it without burning yourself. Blend it with a mixer for about 5 minutes.
8) Put the mixture back into your pot and heat it up. Bring it to a boil while stirring constantly. After it boils, let it cool down for about 30 minutes then take it off of the stove and blend again with your mixer for about another 5 minutes until the texture is creamy.(Note: If even after 5 minutes, it’s not creamy then you added too much cream or half and half. You may have to add more sugar.)
9)Add your rocky road mixture into the ice cream.(If you didn’t make a rocky road mixture then just put the ice cream in.) You can also add chocolate chips at this time if you want.
10) Pour the ice cream into a freezer safe container and let it sit in your freezer for about 7 hours or until it stiffens up enough to scoop.(Note: You may have to change out your freezing bowl once before it freezes because I like to use old yogurt containers that way I don’t have to transfer the ice cream from my pot to a bowl, but if you do have to transfer it just make sure that it’s in a container and not your hands. If you don’t change out your freezing bowl then there is potential for bacteria.)
11.Scoop your ice cream into bowls or cones (If you want chocolate sauce, then you can heat up 1 cup of chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds to make it warm and gooey then spread that on top of your ice cream.
12.Enjoy! (Note: If you have any extra rocky road mixture, just scoop that into your cones or bowls.)
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice
-1/2 cup Low-fat cream cheese (softened)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tbsp sugar
-3 cups of fresh strawberries (chopped)
-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Freeze in ice cream maker for 45-60 minutes or as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve and enjoy!
-Are there any types of Homemade Ice Cream?
Yes, there are many types of Homemade Ice Cream. There are too many to name all of them are but here is just a brief overview:
-Cherry Vanilla Chocolate Chip
-Chocolate Covered Cherry
I’ll be adding more in the future so check back often!
-How should I store my ice cream?
You can freeze it in a container or freeze as you scoop it. The best thing to do is buy containers that are specifically made to store ice cream in.
The other thing that you can do is make sure that if you are freezing as you scoop it to leave some space between the ice cream and the top so that when you put it in your freezer, there’s enough room for the ice cream to expand while freezing.
-Can I freeze my ice cream for later?
Yes, you absolutely can. Just make sure that you follow the above instructions on freezing it properly and be sure to use containers that are specifically made for storing ice cream in the freezer and mark them as “ice cream” so that you don’t get any nasty surprises when you try to eat it.
-Can I add items to my ice cream?
Yes, most definitely. You can add anything that you want as long as it’s edible and fits into the mixture. Just make sure that whatever you’re adding doesn’t increase the water content of your mixture too much or else it won’t be able to freeze properly.
If you are looking for an easy and delicious dessert recipe, try out our strawberry cheesecake ice cream. This tasty treat is simple to make with only a few ingredients. Plus, it’s so good that your kids might just want to eat the whole pot before it even freezes!