The Vermont Press Bureau was founded as a full-time state news bureau in 1935 as a partnership between the Rutland Herald and the Burlington Free Press, as the Morning Press Bureau. Previously it had been a seasonal reporting bureau, only formulated when the Legislature was in session, since 1919.
In 1963, that partnership was dissolved and the Herald carried on with the renamed Vermont Press Bureau, with three full-time staffers covering state government and the legislature for both the Herald and then the Barre-Montpelier Times Argus as well.
The Press Bureau reporters are mobile around Montpelier and Central Vermont.
Currently the Press Bureau is: